Tenant Responsibilities and Rights
- The tenant, however, is also responsible to the landlord to uphold his part of the agreement.
- The first and most important responsibility for the tenant is to pay rent and, if required, a security deposit. The tenant shall submit the previously discussed fee amount to the landlord on the agreed upon date in the preferred form (cash, check, card, etc.).
- Failure to pay the landlord on time may result in fees and/or eventual eviction from the property.
- Another responsibility of the tenant is to maintain the rental property as if the tenant owned the property herself--within reason. Unless specifically stated in the contract, the tenant is not responsible for most repairs.
- However, the tenant's responsibility is to ensure that the rental property is maintained in proper condition, to prevent future problems from developing. An example of this may be that the tenant must keep a clean living space and remove all garbage, to avoid future problems of pests or leftover odors from lingering.
- Prevent damage from happening to your living quarters. Regardless of whether you or a guest caused the damage, you are still liable if any damage occurs to the property.
- Respect other tenants' rights. You are also responsible to maintain a quiet noise level to ensure everyone enjoys "quiet enjoyment."
- Keep appliances, as well as electrical and plumbing fixtures, in working order. If, through normal wear and tear, the appliance breaks, the landlord will repair or replace the item. If you have caused the item to break, you may be liable, or responsible, for damages.
- Unless you add an individual to a lease, you are prohibited from allowing anyone to stay at the property for any length of time.
- You must allow your landlord to enter the premises, provided he has given you proper notice, usually 24 to 48 hours ahead of time. This may be shorter if there is an emergency that needs to be taken care of immediately.
You can receive more information about your rights as a tenant at the Texas Tenants Union, 4228 Main Street, Dallas, TX 75226 or call at 214-823-2733.