Landlord Responsibilities and Rights
- Texas landlords have several responsibilities to the tenants.
- All doors and windows must have some sort of security device installed, such as a lock.
- The unit must comply with local housing and health codes and repairs must be conducted in a timely manner.
- The landlord must also provide smoke detectors in all units.
- A Texas landlord has the right to enter his property for several specific reasons, primarily for making requested repairs and maintenance inspections.
- Other reasons include emergencies and showing the apartment near the end of a tenant's tenancy.
- A landlord also has the right to establish rules for the rental unit, building or community.
- The rules must be applied to all tenants and cannot be based on discriminatory grounds.